Friday, March 21, 2008

I am officially insane!

This is Marley, our new 7 week old puppy. Yes, you read that correctly, our PUPPY. I am officially off my rocker. lol She is a full bred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. When we first started talking about getting a dog over 3 years ago, after doing a lot of research we decided this would be the perfect dog for our family. The problem, the price tag. They range from $800 (pet quality) to over $1500 for a puppy, with most being $1200 and over. I was floored when I saw the price. I had emailed several breeders asking if they had any that were not "perfect" that would be for a pet only, and the cheapest I found was $800...holy smokes! We had pretty much put the thought out of our heads that we would be getting one anytime soon. We got Shelby, or 1 1/2 year old mutt, and the kids love her.

Yesterday, we were at Brandt's school at his Easter party and as I was walking back to my classroom I saw the puppy. I immedately recognized she was a Cavalier. I was petting her and saying that is the type of dog we wanted. They said they were getting rid of her and handed her to me. I told them no, I could not even remotely afford her. Then they tell me she is FREE, yes FREE! I called Dustin and he came and looked. She had hung out with 20 5th grade students all day and had done great. That tells you right there what a fabulous dog she is. After discussing and much deliberation we decided this was a once in a lifetime chance to get this dog. So now we are praying we can train her well in the 5 weeks before the baby gets here. She had an accident this morning 1st thing, but other than that has gone outside everytime (she was an outside dog). She still sleeps a lot, but does play with the boys. They all love her, and in fact she has been upstairs playing with the older 2 boys for 1 1/2 hours and loving it. They just brought her downstairs and she is crashed on my bed.

She just laid there and let all the boys hold her, even Bryson. He kept laughing and giggling, and telling everyone he had a new puppy when we went to t-ball practice. She is incredibly gentle and wonderful with kids (one of the main reasons we wanted this breed). I am just so thankful God provided this for us, totally unexpected, but greatly appreciated. She was owned by a family whose daughter is in the 5th grade at school. They have 3 grown Cavaliers and 2 bred and they ended up with this 1 puppy. They weren't planning on having puppies, and just wanted to find it a good home. She thanked us profusely for taking her. lol

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh my gosh!! You are nuts, but she's precious! How could you pass that up????

My girlfriend up here got a Cavashon. She's a Cavalier King Charles, Bishon mix and she is SO cute!!!!

Looking at that sweet face makes me want to get a puppy too! Does she have a name? Did I miss that in the post?

Anonymous said...

K,
Where do you hide your cape? Wonder Woman cape that is! You are inspirational with all you've got going on!
WG

brickmomma said...

Yes, you ARE crazy!!!

But what a cutie......

Karlise said...

You are nutso girl!! But she's adorable!!! Good luck!

Amanda said...

What a cute little pup! Your boys look like they are in total love!!

Alison said...

Kelly~ Somehow I missed this! She is ADORABLE. I bet the boys fell in instant love. You cannot beat being given that precious little dog. I take my hat off to you girl....Congrats!!!!!!

Quiltermama said...

Ohhhhhh! Cute picture!!! What a blessing!!!

:-)

Quiltermama said...

Let me be specific...The one with the boys just melted my heart!!! But, the puppy one is cute too!

:-)