Monday, June 23, 2008

Need ideas...

We need ideas, even if you never post I'd love to hear your ideas. Brandt will be 6 in August and the last thing we need around here is more toys. With 4 boys so close in age we have toys coming out of our ears. There is nothing that they need and no place to put more. When Brandt was a baby we use to take the money we would have spent on his presents and we bought presents and food for needy families. We did it for several years. and it was wonderful. However, the older he got the more we thought he might be upset not getting anything and we have moved away from that. Some of our good friends did something similar at their kids' birthday this past year and donated pjs for needy kids instead of bringing the birthday kid a toy. I love the idea and would like to get back to doing something like that again. We talked to Brandt last night and he is excited about it, but has no idea what he wants to do. So I would love to hear any and all possible ideas he could have his guests do instead of bringing him another present.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would suggest calling Phoebe's home to see what children's needs they have. I have volunteered there and they hardly ever get new stuff. So books or clothing for any size girls/boys...things like underwear and shoes. I think we are going to do underwear and socks for Clayton's bday. Also they are always needing sheets, pillows, towels, etc.

Or you could do something for the Hope Pregnancy Center. That's another good one.

Karri

brickmomma said...

We had to build it up a bunch before H and D's party, but they really did like taking it to the donation place. Then we went straight to Toy's R us and they used their birthday coupon. I was very proud of the way they handled it. When I called Phoebe's Home they said they needed anything...so you could pick something that went with your theme, if you wanted. I had wnated to do a pseudo slumber party to match the pj's but that didn't actually work out.....

But I def understand not needing any more toys!!

Emily said...

What a great idea...I have actually wanted to do this with my girls as their b-days are so close to Christmas...and we need NO MORE TOYS!

Since it's in August...maybe something with a school theme...like school supplies. I'm in Jr. League and our project "Stuff the Bus" is coming up...so let me know if this is of interest!

momofnolens said...

I was going to suggest having your guests bring school supplies. Emily and I are on the same wave length here! There are always kiddos that don't show up with what they need for school and are embarassed to come with nothing in their hands.

Kelly said...

We usually do his party the 1st weekend in September, would that be too late for school supplies?

Becky said...

My knee jerk reaction is where my heart is of course, where I serve on the Board of Directors at Aggieland Adoption Outreach. I know Kim would appreciate being able to express a need if you told her what you were doing and why. I know their Teen Mama club can always use donations of baby/toddler items for the young moms they are ministering too.
I think that is what I am going to do for J's birthday in the fall.

I like the school supply idea. Having taught, I know the need is sometimes there. I also know there are lots of resources for that too.

Let us know what you decide!!!