Earlier this week when I was in my classroom, I did not get a call from the office that I had a sick child. I did not go down there to see my son Brayden throwing up into a trash can. As soon as the elementary assistant went to sit in my class until a sub could be called, my son did not tell me "momma, I ate my money". Not my 5 year old, he is way too old to put things in his mouth.
I did not panic, for as a mom to 4 boys I have to remain calm and level headed at all times. My mind did not race, and my heart did not stop when I realized he was referring to his Presidential dollar he had found on the ground 2 days earlier.
I did not barge into my 6 year old son's class during nap time and wake up all the other kids. The teacher would have been pretty upset with me. I did not turn and look at Brayden every 30 seconds on the car ride over to urgent care to make sure he was ok. For heavens sake he had already swallowed it and he wasn't blue so that would have been pointless?
I didn't have to wait forever in the waiting room with 2 squirmy kids (no really they called us back in under 2 minutes...pretty sure that is a record). First thing they did was check his oxygen saturation, and praise the Lord it was 100%...perfect! We didn't have to go to the other side of the building and wait 30 minutes to get x-rays taken of his insides; sadly this time we did.
The doctor didn't come into the room and tell me this was the 3rd case of a child swallowing something she had seen in 2 weeks. What is up with these parents that let their children around small objects that can be swallowed? I have never been so happy to see a clear x-ray. The doctor told us he must have thrown it up when it first got stuck in his throat.
When I asked Brayden if he had thrown up the money he did not say "I don't know, there was just lots of puke". How could he not know if this huge coin that is a little bigger than a quarter had came out of his mouth? Again, he is 5, so certainly he would know if it had or not.
*Apparently, at nap time he had put the dollar in his mouth, it had been in his pocket because he wanted to show his friends. He tried to reach in and pull it out and accidentally shoved it down his throat. When he found out he threw it up he was sad and said "now I can't show my friends because it is covered in puke". Like it would have been so much better had it come out the other end. He did have a spot in his left lung on the x-ray that the dr was concerned about. He evidently got throw up in it, but praise God it didn't turn into pneumonia.*